Friday, December 13, 2013

Color Me Flabbergasted

I have to say, I have come to an interesting point of self-revelation.

My friend L got me this job at the flower shop.  It was a call out of the blue.  A random, oh yes!  I need a job...what? Sure I can come in today, I have no other plans...

And then a mad scramble to re-do my plans...

It took a while to settle in and I have to say, with my friend L working there and being so obviously unhappy, it was a stressful situation for sure.  But she and I had been friends for a while and I stuck it out because she put in a good word for me and I needed the job.

L ended up leaving for a job that better suited her and honestly, my life became easier.  My work situation lost a lot of the stress and after a tentative, albeit brief, trial-of-loyalty, I proved myself to be exactly what my boss needed.  She described me as the "glue that holds us all together".  Which was fine with me.  At the time.

I've been there almost two years now and wow, how things have changed.  I had a chance to talk with my boss about things and she told me she hired me, not just because of my friend L but because I have been at my other job for 17+ years and that I have gardened all my life and I had a hops yard at my friend's farm.

I told her I wanted the job originally because I have never had the opportunity to explore the creative side to myself.

Suddenly I find myself creating arrangements that are being quite well received.  I don't in any way consider myself a designer yet but I feel like someday I will legitimately be able to call myself one.  I have the faith and confidence of who I consider the best designer in the Mid-Atlantic, telling me that my creations are beautiful and she's putting her name behind everything that goes out the door.

It's hard work, the pay sucks and I couldn't be happier.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! That truly sounds like a fun job, to be honest!

    ReplyDelete